Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Inspiration Take 2

Now that I am thinking about it, I guess I really love a lot of things. So far I have mentioned quite a few things, sewing, knitting, jewelry making, adding glitter to anything and everything. Today I endeavor to talk about another thing I love even if I am an amateur. Fashion.

I really really enjoy pretty clothes. And all the bloggers I love have been taking things from stores and recreating them themselves. Ruffles are fairly easy to sew and it seems a lot of people are cutting up their tee shirts and sticking ruffles on anything with two sleeves. Which I think is awesome. I once believed that I cannot pull off ruffles, but my mind has been changed. It could help that everyone seems to be wearing them so when I do, I don't feel like I am stick out like a soar thumb.

Since I follow Nina Dobrev on twitter, I saw some different tops she has been wearing for different covers and shoots for The Vampire Diaries. I really like how they are styling her, and low and behold they stuck some ruffles on her. Now these ruffles are a little different that the stuff I have seen around so, I am going to give this shirt a go!

I really like how the ruffle become the sleeves and how the shirt dips so low in the front. Plus I am in love with navy blue so that's a plus too. I haven't quite decided what I am going to start with though. I am thinking I could either sew the entire shirt myself from a sleeveless blouse pattern or I could find a button down in navy blue, make it more fitted if I need to, and then add the ruffle. I was leaning towards the second since it would probably be easier but I would probably have to buy 2 shirts just to get enough matching fabric to make the ruffles, which would defeat the cheapness. So I will probably just make the entire thing myself since if I need more fabric or I mess up, that tends to happen when I sew, I can just run to the fabric store, or rip out my stitches. This will also give me a lot better control of the fit of the shirt too.

The sad part is I won't be able to make this beauty until March since that is when I will be home again and can use my mom's sewing machine. But until then I will be hunting for a pattern. I can't wait to show you all what I come up with. Like I keep saying, inspiration strikes in the oddest of places! Oh twitter how I love you!

While I am talking about fashion, which I know very little about compared to my other hobbies, I would like to direct you to a fashion expert! Kelly Skahan writes for the Examiner online, covering the Seattle fashion scene. She is currently stationed in New York, so she really has here thumb on the pulse of fashion! She writes great articles on how fashion amateurs, like me, can pull off the newest, coolest, looks without looking like a crazy person! Go check her out!!!








Pictures via twitpic.com and the examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment